Reflections from The Digital Diva: Advancing in your Career
August 28, 2020
With over 20 years’ experience in the corporate workplace in various industries, from Telecommunications, Media and currently CPG, I took the time to share my learnings on how to advance in your career. I recently shared this on the Women in Digital (Kenya) group when I facilitated a coaching session. I don’t know it all, but what I do know for sure, is…
- No one will ever hand you a role. You have to take it.
- Volunteer for projects outside your scope. This not only gives you visibility but it expands your skill set.
- Take the job then figure out how to do it. Like having a child, you will never be fully ready for that promotion. So just go for it and you will learn as you go.
- Never stop learning. Take advantage of the easy access to knowledge and information via Webinars, Online Journals, You Tube “university” and more.
- Mentor to someone early in their career. You will be surprised how much that grows you in return.
- Ask for feedback constantly! From peers, family, bosses. This will help you know when you are winning or where you need to improve.
- Do a formal assessment of yourself. If you can, take the Hogan, Birkman, or similar personality tests. Understand what areas you are strong/weak and then have development plan to address these.
- Share your vision, your dreams with your partner/family…it helps to verbalize it but also to prepare them when the dream comes true!